MARYLAND CODE INFORMATION
In the State of Maryland, pool operator is required.
You can view Maryland's State Bathing Code here.
10.17.01.00. Title 10 DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND MENTAL HYGIENE Subtitle 17 SANITATION Chapter 01 Public Swimming Pools and Spas Authority: Health-General Article, §2-102, 2-104, 18-102, and 20-303, Annotated Code of Maryland, and U.S.C. §8003
Section 10.17.01.41 Pool and Spa Operator Certification states
“A. A person may not act as or perform the duties of a public pool or spa operator without a pool and spa operator certification card issued by the Secretary as required in §§B and G of this regulation.
B. The Secretary shall issue a 3-year public pool and spa operator certification card only to an individual 16 years old or older who has:
(1) Completed a 14-hour approved public pool and spa operator's course or a course offered by the Secretary with a minimum grade of 70 percent on an approved written examination given following the completion of that course; or
(2) Presented proof of previous certification and has:
(a) Completed an approved 4-hour refresher course; or
(b) Passed a challenge exam offered by the Secretary.
G. The Secretary shall issue a 3-year limited public-use pool operator certification card to an individual 16 years old or older who has completed:
(1) An approved 4-hour limited public-use pool operator's course and passed an approved written examination with a minimum grade of 75
Operators must follow state, county, city and local laws as well as federal laws pertaining to the operation and maintenance of pools and spas."
Operators must follow state, county, city and local laws as well as federal laws pertaining to the operation and maintenance of pools and spas.
NEW BALTIMORE COUNTY POOL OPERATOR REQUIREMENTS - 11/1/12
Baltimore County has updated their requirements to become a Baltimore County Pool Operator. The following are the updated requirements from the Department Environmental Health Services:
Students must provide:
- An original application (PDF application here along with instructions). Students will need to file the application and other supporting documents to the:
Baltimore County EHS.
9100 Franklin Square Drive, Suite 230
Baltimore, MD 21237-3903
email@example.com (for questions)
Open Monday – Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm
- A legible copy of the certifying organization's certificate:
- NSPF is a certifying organization
- Certificate is only valid for 3 years in MD (when the Baltimore County ID expires after 3 years the student can again bring in the application and supporting documents and they will re-issue an ID for the other 2 years remaining on our certification.
- **NEW** A letter from the certifying agency (NSPF will supply to us to give to students)
- A $25 fee for new Identification card, $15 for a replacement card
MARYLAND CODE EXCERPTS
|What is to be recorded
||Free chlroine, Total Chlroine. Combined Chlorine, pH, temperature,clarity
|Water Testing Frequency
||Every 2 hours
|Chlorine Levels (Min-Max)
||CHLORINE: 1.5-10.0 PPM (Pool), 4.0-10.0 PPM (Spa)
BROMINE: 3.0-8.0 PPM (Pool), 4.0-8.0 PPM (Spa)
|pH Levels (Min-Max)
|Chlorine Test Kit Requirements
|pH Test Kit Requirements
|Cyanuric Acid Levels (Min-Max)
||6" Bllack Disc Test
||POOL: 8 hrs
SPA: 30 minutes
WADING: 2 hrs
|Bather Load (per bather)
POOL: 1/12-15 sq ft, Diving - 1/300 sq ft
SPA: 1 person/per 9 square feet
WADING: 1 person/per 12 square feet
||Deck and Pool
MARYLAND CPO® CLASS SCHEDULE
Classes run from 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM daily (Photo Identification required for registration)
||APRIL 14-15, 2015
||APRIL 16-17, 2015
||MAY 12-13, 2015
||EASTERN SHORE (SALISBURY), MD
||MAY 14-15, 2015
||AUGUST 18-19, 2015
||OCTOBER 14-15, 2015
To register by check, print and complete registration form and mail with check
Pool Operation Management, 68 Edwards Road, Brick, NJ 08723. Please
checks payable to Pool Operation Management.
To register online by credit card, click here.